If you are looking to send email with attachment via shell script or at shell prompt/command line (read as bash prompt), use mutt command.
Mutt is a small but very powerful text based program for reading electronic mail under UNIX /Linux operating systems, including support for color terminals, MIME, and a threaded sorting mode.
Please note that mutt is a pure MUA and cannot send e-mail without proper email server . You need a working Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) such as sendmail or postfix. I am assuming that you have configured email server.
If mutt is not installed, use apt-get or yum or up2date command as follows (login as a root user):
(A) Debian Linux / Ubuntu Linux user use following command to install mutt:
# apt-get install mutt
B) Fedora / CentOS or Red Hat Linux (RHEL) user can use following command to install mutt:
# yum install mutt
# up2date mutt
C) FreeBSD user use following command to install mutt via pkg_add command:
# pkg_add -v -r mutt
How do I send email attachments from a command prompt?
1) Use mutt command as follows to send an email with attachment:
$ mutt -s "Test mail" -a /tmp/file.tar.gz email@example.com < /tmp/mailmessage.txt
- firstname.lastname@example.org - is the recipient
- /tmp/mailmessage.txt - is the main body of the e-mail (read message from the file "mailmessage.txt")
- /tmp/file.tar.gz - is an attachment (with option -a)
- "Test mail" - is a subject line (option -s)
- Sample bash script to send an email
- mybackup script to backup selected files/directories and email them as .tar.gz file to your email account
- Metamail ftp://ftp.research.telcordia.com/pub/nsb/
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop
- 10 Greatest Open Source Software Of 2009
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Linux Video Editor Software