As you’ve probably already realized, search engine optimization is not an easy task. It requires lots of attention and constant maintenance to achieve top search engine ranking. SEO is more of a set of guidelines that can be implemented in a way that allows for individual site customization.
Don’ts of Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
- Submit your site more than once a month. This is considered a spamming tactic, and search engines are strict about their spamming policies.
- Don’t add a bunch of junk links to the bottom of your pages. Footer links are great, but don’t just add junk links to pages that serve no value to your visitors strictly for the SEO benefit.
- Yes, it’s a good idea to get a lot of different links pointing to your site, but the search engines only like relevant links. If they find sites that have nothing in common with the content on your site linked to your Web site, they’ll lower your relevancy rating.
- Don’t settle for stock content. Take the time to develop custom content for your site. Don’t use manufacture descriptions unless you add your own descriptive content as well.
Dos of Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
- Each page should have a title unique to that page alone.
- Use effective keyword density. A high keyword density ratio within your content is one of the best ways to increase your search engine ranking potential.
- Make sure your Web site is usability-friendly. Your site should be quick to load, clean, appealing, and easy to navigate. For more information on Web site usability.
- Include lots of relevant, keyword-rich content on your site. Writing informative and useful content should be your main priority.
- An easy way to boost the number of pages that link to your site is to create some pages yourself. However, you have to make sure these pages contain valuable content that provides people with useful information. Search engines hate “pointer pages” that have no content and exist only to add to the number of links pointing to a site.